Fire Service confirm carbon monoxide is believed to be cause of family’s death

27th Feb 2013

An elderly couple and their daughter who were found dead in their caravan home at the weekend were probably killed by carbon monoxide poisoning, it has been reported.

Fire chiefs said John Cook, 90, his wife Audrey, 86 and daughter Maureen, 46 were thought to have been using a heater to keep warm in their static caravan during freezing conditions.

Firefighters were called to Tremarle Home Park near Camborne, Cornwall on Saturday when the family didn’t respond to knocks on the door from the couple’s helper.

Floral tributes have been left from friends and neighbours as they spoke of their ‘devastation’. The incident also killed the family dog; a young Jack Russell.

Sue Issacs, a friend of the family said “Everyone here is in total shock. You never think that something like this would happen on your own doorstep.”

“John, Audrey and Maureen were lovely people. It’s so upsetting to think that three members of the same family have been wiped out in one go”.

Another friend Julie Boon said “The whole community is shocked and devastated”.

Councillor David Biggs called the incident an “appalling tragedy”. He added “Only a few weeks ago, local councillors were in the area distributing leaflets to remind people that they could have home safety checks carried out by the fire service”.

Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service have confirmed that carbon monoxide poisoning is believed to be the cause of the deaths.

Did you like this post?

  • Email
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • MySpace
  • del.icio.us
  • LinkedIn
  • StumbleUpon
  • Digg
  • Reddit
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Tumblr


Compensation Calculator

Calculate Your Compensation

Latest Blog

The Department of Health have released their latest figures on the number of wom...

Read full article

The sole distributor of PIP breast implants in Australia has gone into voluntary...

Read full article

An elderly couple and their daughter who were found dead in their caravan home a...

Read full article

It’s International Women’s Day today – an occasion dedicated t...

Read full article

Over 30 families have taken legal action against a hospital in Cumbria after a c...

Read full article